home about categories website pinterest instagram facebook contact

Thursday's Thoughts | Moments Vs. Details

For today's Thursday's Thoughts I want to discuss documenting moments on a wedding day versus photographing details.  Details have become such a huge part of a wedding day.

A lot of today's photographers go to the same workshops and learn how to place the shoes and jewelry for the prettiest shot.  What results is an "insert this weekend's bride's details here" look.  In part, this is due to the surge in social media such as Pinterest as well as the hundreds of wedding blogs that feature image after image of "stuff".  And, honestly, this has only become extremely popular in the past 5 years.  Understand, I'm not saying the bouquet, dress, shoes or rings are not important because they are, especially the rings.  I'm specifically speaking about the actual wedding day and what's going to keep you going back to your wedding album year after year.  Now, this being said, I do photograph details and I love doing it.  However, I do try to incorporate the location and lighting of each wedding individually to give a sense of time and place.
I think showing the details and remembering exactly what you wore helps tie into the story of your day, however, it should not BE the story of your day.  When you look through your images or your album, you want to see what is at the core of your soul and most important to you: your family, friends, and loved ones.  Because, unfortunately, there will come a day when those people in your wedding album will no longer be here.  I'm definitely not trying to be morbid, but it is so, so true.  Seeing your loved ones in photos on your wedding day, the best day of your life, will always bring a smile to your face and always bring you back to that very moment.
A wedding day is a chapter in your love story and this chapter should consist of all the main characters in your life.  The details of what you wore are merely there for descriptive purposes.  It's important not to get too caught up in the "stuff" on a wedding day and focus on every fleeting moment.
Although details have become a part of what I photograph on a wedding day, my love will always lie in these moments.  Capturing these split seconds of time is literally priceless.  And it doesn't matter if your photographer can photograph your ring with the best macro lens so you can see every facet in your diamond, if he/she doesn't understand how to document your day then all you have in your wedding album is stuff.   I'm proud to admit that I don't have a degree in Photography, however, I do have a degree in Journalism.  And this has made all the difference in my wedding photography career. 


Check out our last Thursday's Thoughts on a First Look!

Unknown (June 5, 2014 at 10:29 AM)  

Awesome blog Jen! So very true- it's what I'm reminding a lot of my friends who are getting married in the next year. It's not about the venue or the dress or the food. But the moments with the people you surround yourself with on that day. You are a phenomenal photographer with a beautiful philosophy. Almost two years later we still comment on how our choice of photographers was the best we made for our wedding. :)

jennifer (June 5, 2014 at 11:13 AM)  

So appreciate every word of your comment, Dani! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind words. Couples like you and Jeff are the reason I love being a part of weddings and I'm so happy to hear that you encourage your friends to understand the importance of this philosophy :) You are the best!!

Post a Comment