home about categories website pinterest instagram facebook contact

2014 to 2015 Blog Challenge | Year In Review

I love a good new year's goal blog post just as much anyone.  Actually, I love reading everyone else's goals and then hiding in the corner cringing because I have not focused on specific goals as the clock strikes 12 on a brand new year.  So, now that we're halfway through January (what?!), I figured it's time for me to write out a few goals for 2015 as well as reflect on the good, bad, and downright ugly of 2014.


Thanks to my fabulous friend Tina, I have all the questions ready to go!



LOOK BACK
What are you most proud of this year?
When the 2014 wedding season started, I was feeling that my work in 2013 was a little lackluster and boring.  I'm so blessed to have the BEST couples, who were all happy with their wedding day galleries, but for me I knew there was more I could do.  So I decided to step up my game, push myself, try to step outside (like, way outside) my comfort zone, get back to practicing (nobody is perfect and we could all use a little practice) to find who I am as an artist and how I want to approach my work.  Well, it worked.  I'm not saying I every click of the shutter was a prize winning image, but for ME I could see a huge change in my work.  I began to use light in a whole new way and for the first time in a while, I was anxious for the next wedding to see what I could create for my couple while documenting the most important day of their lives.  
What was the biggest risk you took?
I think the biggest risk ties into the previous question.  Using new techniques and applying them amidst all the hustle and bustle of a wedding day can be a bit daunting (which is why it's important to practice them on your husband before the wedding day. Ha!).  Like all things in life, there are safe and easy routes to take, but I wanted to step outside the box at times and look for the unexpected or interesting angle.
What did you learn this year?
I learned that it's important to allocate specific times for work and personal time.  Often the two become intermixed and it's not healthy for anyone.  My business is important, but not as important as my husband or family.  I'm sure everyone who has a job can relate to that.  Don't get me wrong, I love and appreciate ever single one of my clients, but if I don't allow myself to have a life then my work will suffer and I will become unhappy.
What do you wish you had made more time for?
I wish I had more time for time.  Seriously, there is never enough time, especially when running your own business.  Even on days that you're 'off' your brain is still preoccupied with business related items.  After all, this is how I make a living and I need to ensure that I continue to do so :)  
What are 3 highlights (business or personal) of your year?
1. Putting together and shooting my first styled shoot along with many talented vendors that I've met throughout the years.  Not only did it turn out beautifully, but it was published in print and online on a few blogs including The Knot (hello dream come true!)
2. Meeting several new photographer friends!  There are good and bad things in all industries and, likewise, sometimes the photography world can be more competitive than friendly.  So it's always a breath of fresh air to meet someone who has a similar outlook on things.  And, of course, people you can drink wine with at the end of wedding season and share crazy stories with!! ;)
3. As usual, my couples take me to the craziest places for their weddings and engagement sessions!  So a definite highlight would be all the fabulous things I have been able to experience this year (shooting an engagement session on the DuPont family property and a wedding on NYE on the 25th floor penthouse office of Red Tettemer the old home of the Wanamaker family).  Sometimes I wonder if this real?!   
LOOK FORWARD
What “word” do you want to define 2015?
Peace.   I need to learn to be at peace with things.  I know that's extremely broad, but I am way too anxious and worrisome for my own good and I need to understand that you can either worry about living or just LIVE in peace and, ultimately, what will be will be.

What are 3 big goals (business or personal) for 2015?
1. To make my business work for me.  This is how Aaron and I pay some of our bills, so it's vital to make my business healthy and profitable.  I want to work on the profitability even more because when you work 6 days a week, it's pretty important to make sure you're making a little money.
2. I want to read more!  Specifically for pleasure and not work.  I get caught up in reading a lot of business books, but I want to start reading for pleasure so that my mind can be on vacation for that time.
3. To clean up my eating habits.  As well as be more active.  I never make the time for these two things and it's so important to a healthy lifestyle.

What do you want to stop doing in 2015?
Comparing myself to others.  This goes for business and personal.  It's so easy to get wrapped up in the world of looking at what is happening in your friends' lives and then comparing it to yours and feeling inadequate.   But, we all have to be thankful for the blessings that we have in our lives because there are plenty!  In business, it's easy to very quickly become frustrated when comparing the success of someone else who has been in business for 5 years to my own.  But, again, you get out of it what you put in and I know that if I want to grow exponentially then I need to except working twice as much.

What things excite you about the upcoming year?
Wow.  This is a tough one.  If there is one thing I have learned that never fails me, it is that you NEVER know what is around the bend.  There are many exciting things to look forward to this year: travel, fun weddings, vacations, but I have a feeling that I don't yet know what exactly is awaiting us for the coming year.  So we'll see :)

What do you want to learn in 2015?
Honestly, I want to learn how to balance work and life.  Aaron once told me that the key to happiness is balance in your life.  I know this is the unicorn of  all ideas so if I figure it out, I'll share it with you all!



I wish you all a happy, healthy, and successful 2015!!  Thank you to all my 2014 clients for their trust and support and to my 2015 clients: Let's. Do. This.


Tina (January 14, 2015 at 10:27 AM)  

Loved reading all of your goals! They're some good ones - I need to stop the "comparison" too! Can't wait to be travel buddies in March, and I'm SO glad we became friends in 2014!! :)

Post a Comment